View Single Post
Old 01-18-2019, 09:02 PM   #79 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,127 Times in 1,438 Posts
GM EV Platforms:

GM already has a dedicated EV platform. It is called BEV2 and underpins the Bolt. It will be superseded in 2021 by BEV3 which GM says will spawn 18 models by 2023.

The other platforms are:
Small FWD / AWD (Car / CUV)
Large FWD / AWD (Car / CUV)
Performance RWD / AWD (Car / CUV)
RWD SUV / Truck

BEV3 is a "skateboard" platform with no room for engines

Tax Credits:

Prius Prime: $27,350 - $4500 tax credit = $22,850 2018 sales - 27,595
Prius STD: $23,770 - $0 tax credit = $23,770 2018 sales = 49,534

The Prius Prime is cheaper after the tax credit but Toyota sold almost twice as many regular hybrids compared to the PHEV. Why do you think it would sell better if they stuck a larger battery in it and charged more?

Why did the regular Prius outsell the Prime even thought the Prime is cheaper after tax credits?

1. The average US family will not get the entire tax credit. A family of 4 needs to make about $90K pay enough in Federal Income Taxes to get the full $7500 credit. It is not refundable and cannot be taken over multiple years.
2. The sales price and monthly payment are based on the full price without the tax credit. Lots of people can't afford the higher payment hoping to get money back from Uncle Sam a year latter.

What about the I3 and original Insight:

I didn't work for either company so I'm guessing.

BMW i3. It is basically a large scale R&D project. BMW has been talking for years about making cars out of carbon composite. The i3 allowed them to make a low volume production car to test manufacturing techniques and get long term reliability data. It also works as a test mule for EV tech. The fact that they could meet C.A.R.B's EV mandate and avoid fines is a bonus. Going forward BMW has announced the i3 and i8 will be replaced by hybrid versions of their traditional cars starting in 2021.

Insight: It was 20 years ago, times have changed, and automakers are watching their costs much closer. Beyond that it was an Eco Halo car meant to showcase Honda's engineering talent. It was a production car and marketing rolled into one. It was also a commercial failure and was replaced with a 2nd generation built on the Fit platform.

Auto manufactures are looking to lean out their operations with the hopes of being one of the companies that survive the next decade. The big 4 are making 10 million cars a year and all of them are consolidating platforms to maximize manufacturing efficiency and drive down cost. The little guys have little hope of competing unless they are in a small but profitable niche or consolidate with other companies.

Last edited by JSH; 01-18-2019 at 09:11 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (01-19-2019)