View Single Post
Old 01-23-2019, 11:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
contractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I care, but yeah, I'm not expecting a stampede to EVs. I'm predicting a more gradual adoption rate than many anticipate due to the gradual rate of improving tech/cutting costs.

Contractors should jump all over these since they can depreciate the purchase cost, and EVs will be way more reliable and need much less maintenance, and zero refuelling. That will keep the trucks working rather than working for the truck.
I see a lot of evidence for that conclusion.
We have area auto retailers who specialize in 'workin'' the tax code,such that a contractor's purchase of a 'work' vehicle nets a handsome tax write-down over the amortization period.
Stick a magnetic sign on the door,and Voila! a tax write-off.
Even the home' 220-VAC charger and install fee will be a write-off.
KWhs won't see price elasticity as with gas and diesel,so it won't matter what OPEC does to production/pricing.
Even if we have another energy war,it won't show up as a 'war premium' at the electric meter.
No annual 'emissions' testing.
Depreciated used EV trucks will become available to those lower on the food chain.
The schism is already in the marketplace with cars.
Analysts say that EVs will have price parity with ICE by 2025,so we'll have a 'plurality' in the market by then.
Skepticism about the supremacy of ICE will probably ensue,as growing numbers of consumers see the technological superiority of EVs,beginning the decline and eventual overthrow of the Holy Roamin' Combustion Church.
2041 might be a reasonable date for the 'extinction' of ICE.

Last edited by aerohead; 01-23-2019 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: add data
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
ME_Andy (01-23-2019), wdb (01-27-2019)