View Single Post
Old 09-04-2008, 08:26 PM   #26 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbjsw10 View Post
But back on topic I don't believe drilling is the correct way to deal with this. We need to force auto manufacturers to build what WE want not what they give us. The technology is there if Men like Darin,Ben, and Paul can build an EV using forklift parts, bed frames, clothes hangers for all I know. GM, Ford, Honda, Toyota, and the rest sure the hell can do it. I didn't remember seeing 20 engineers in Ben's garage with his Metro.
Exactly, sad thing is the big boys that make the most off of oil also have large interests in car companies. They are willing to take losses on one to make more money on the other.

If the lowsy vehicle restrictions could be relaxed somewhat like they are on motorcycles, we could import Japanese kei size cars, small diesels and other vehicles from foreign countries that natively get 40-70mpg without anything special, not to mention many of them are fairly cheap.

I have been trying to figure out how to get a runnable Honda or Subaru 360 for years as it would be exactly what I need for slightly longer distance trips, sadly they have to be over 25yrs old to be legal here. Some in England with Subaru 360's were able to drive lightly and get over 70mpg (eq.) in a little Subaru 360, not bad for late 1950's technology.