View Single Post
Old 01-27-2019, 07:37 PM   #34 (permalink)
Snax
Master EcoModder

Lord Vader - '15 BMW i3 REx
90 day: 35.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Well, if I were satisfied not being able to do whatever I want at home, I wouldn't complain so much about living in an apartment. HOAs are uncommon in my country, even though some gated housing complexes might also have some stupid rules, but AFAIK none preventing renewable energies to be individually implemented.
No restrictions in the one I live in, and frankly, I didn't even ask before putting panels on my roof, as another neighbor already had some. (I'm also the president . . )

Regardless, I am settling on a new plan for the new panels. They are going to remain isolated from the house system and feed directly into a charge controller for 2 Model S modules to charge from. That'll provide almost 10kWh of backup power when full, but also more than enough to charge my car most days since I rarely go through even 1/4 of it's 22kWh capacity.

That also eliminates any need for even electrical permits if I install it all in a way to be portable or temporary as far as the county is concerned.

I honestly really dig the idea of being able to say that it costs me literally nothing to drive my car on the average day.