View Single Post
Old 01-28-2019, 12:44 AM   #257 (permalink)
The Toecutter
Master EcoModder

Rebellion - '16 KMX Framekit Custom electric velomobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcosine View Post

Now for something completely different...it looks it anyway.
I love this build. You're probably going to change the nose though; it looks like it would induce too much unwanted torque during crosswinds that could make you lose stability.

Quote:
Where is Redneckistan?
Where I used to live, which was South Texas.

I just updated it to Ghettoville, USA, which is St. Louis, MO, where I am currently located.

Quote:
I dont have a video yet of the corovelotrike, but I got one of the old Carp from 10 years ago,,,45 mph
That's fast.

My coroplast-bodied trike could reach 33-35 mph on the flat with me riding it. I've gotten up to 51 mph downhill when I still had the 28/38/48T front cranks on it. Flat ground cruising speed was about 21 mph.

I'm working on a new body that should be significantly less lossy. My steering bars limit my minimum possible width/frontal area as I have to have room to accommodate them, so my bodyshell should have significantly more area than yours. At best, keeping the stock steering setup, I could get a frontal area around 0.5 m^2 from the looks of things(and that's with having holes cut in the sides to allow the steering bars to move, with elastic boots made to flex in and out as I steer, but to seal the airflow up when I'm going straight).

If I had a rack and pinion steering or tiller steering, and the steering bar clearance wasn't an issue any longer, the possibility of getting a frontal area as low as 0.45 m^2 exists.

Right now it has front suspension and is very comfortable and stable, even over potholes. I can make lane changes at 45+ mph with confidence that I won't lose control.

I will eventually get to 40 mph top speed on flat ground, and a cruising speed of 25+ mph, fully under human power, dammit.

Once reached, whenever I can raise the funds, it is THEN getting an overpowered electric drive system, and possibly an upgrade to a rear suspension, as well as moped rims all around, integrated lights/turn signals, and a roll cage.

The goal is a vehicle that can move like a velomobile with electric assist disabled. When electric assist is enabled, I want it to operate as a pedelec with sports car-like acceleration with a 60+ mph top speed. The efficiency target is 3000+ miles per gallon equivalent and a 200+ mile range at 30 mph with a rider input of 100W and the electric drive providing the rest. Theoretically it's perfectly possible. Getting the aerodynamics right is key, and they're not good enough yet.

Last edited by The Toecutter; 01-28-2019 at 02:07 AM..