View Single Post
Old 01-31-2019, 05:12 PM   #105 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
It doesn't make sense for most other shops though, which is what RedDevil was talking about, and which I was responding to.
It makes sense in RedDevil's world where 1/3 of new cars sales are EVs. It is starting to makes sense in certain parts of the USA with high EV adoption rates. It doesn't make much sense at all in most of the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
The main problem to EV adoption isn't lack of DCFC infrastructure; it's the many severe limitations of current battery technology, which I'm repeatedly talking about, and which nobody has objected to.

I'll never take an EV on a long road trip because I'm not willing to spend an hour charging every 150 miles. I'm also not willing to spend the money necessary to purchase an EV that has a huge battery with long range. That defeats the advantage and purpose of an EV, which is for local driving needs.
I agree that lack of DCFC infrastructure is not the problem preventing EV adoption, however, I disagree that battery performance is the problem. Current EV batteries work just fine. 200 to 300 miles of range is more than enough. There are two problems preventing more widespread EV adoption:
1. Price
2. Lack of personal experience driving an EV.

Price is the big one. The Chevy Bolt is a great car. However, I'm not going to pay $37K for a compact car when I can get a standard VW Golf $22K or a GTI for $27K.

The EV driving experience is better than gas in almost every way. (Aside from being able to take spontaneous long trips). As more people experience driving an EV more people will find this out. The lack of maintenance and convenience of charging at home is also great. Again, as more people experience it more people will buy EVs. OEMs can help this adoption rate by refusing to make slow EVs. There is no reason for it, you can have performance AND efficiency in an EV.

Fix the price issue and people will buy EVs because they are better cars. They will drive them around town and charge them at home. When they need to go farther then the range allows they will drive their other car.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (02-01-2019)