View Single Post
Old 09-05-2008, 12:20 AM   #29 (permalink)
nowhhs
EcoModding Lurker

90VX - '90 Honda Civic Std
90 day: 46.32 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbjsw10 View Post
But back on topic I don't believe drilling is the correct way to deal with this. We need to force auto manufacturers to build what WE want not what they give us.
It seems to me that this is one of the major problems we're facing. Manufacturers are giving "us" what we want. Unfortunately most American consumers don't realize that what they want is not whats ultimately in their best interest. Until gas reached $3, people wanted H2s and jacked up trucks with V10 engines. The only way that mindset will change is if gas stays that expensive. As soon as it goes back down, if it ever does, people will go right back to buying those FSPs and you'll see the hybrids sitting unsold on the lots. And that is also the problem with trying to drill our way out of this. If it succeeds in lowering the cost of gas, which IMO it won't, it only postpones the inevitable. The motivation to change, whether exploring new technologies or just conserving, comes from high gas prices, nothing else.
BTW, I've been very impressed with the civility shown throughout this thread. When I saw it started, I never expected to see this much respect for others' opinions. Well done.