View Single Post
Old 02-02-2019, 02:38 PM   #4786 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
Green New Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
No more surprising to me than how much I don't know.

Anyways, it was AOC. While we are weighing the opinions of scientist and researchers, there exists a junior member of our Congress that is promoting a Green New Deal. Read it and weep.

In other news[ for nerds], https://science.slashdot.org/story/1...ingly-accurate
Neighbors gave me the January 14/21,2019 The Nation,with an article about the Green New Deal,by Mike Konczal,page 5.
*He mentions US Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's involvement with the Sunrise Movement.
*45% CO2 cut by 2030 (leaving 55% of emissions)
*100% renewable electric power(my guess,as he's not specific)
*10,000,000 new high-tech training/jobs in first 10-years
*investing in collapsing communities
*self-avowed lack of specifics
*goal: Congressional hearings
*create legislation for 2020
*define needs
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was left with the impression that these people are operating in their right hemisphere,and have no grasp of reality,just operating on buzz concepts,emotionally driven,without a clue as to the implications of what they're advocating.Rumsfeldian 'unknown unknowns.'
They'd accomplish more simply through their own consumer spending patterns.Voting with their dollars.
The marketplace is a perfect democracy.They don't need Congress to know what the right thing to do is.As if Congress were aware of that anyway.
I don't see a way through what Eric Alterman describes in the same issue,as a 'false equivalence',between lies and reality,already log-jamming the policy process.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (02-03-2019), RedDevil (02-02-2019)