View Single Post
Old 02-04-2019, 12:33 PM   #4807 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
US doesn't care about health costs because we are either uninsured and get "free" healthcare at the ER, or have insurance and are completely insulated from the cost of healthcare. Then the industry is super cautious to avoid litigation, so all the tests are performed to rule everything out.

Finally, we're not educated about what constitutes a reasonable concern to see a doctor, and what is not. Heck, I screwed up (prior to) this Saturday when I had a headache so severe I couldn't work on a computer. Vision in my right eye was hazy too. Finally I saw a doctor, who then had the on-call doctor come in to see me. Apparently I had an eye emergency and didn't even know it. I've got another eye appointment at 3pm today, which I wonder is necessary or not. I have an HSA (personal savings account that is not taxed) combined with a high deductible health plan. I'm utilizing insurance as intended; to prevent lifelong debt due to medical bills. The minor stuff I pay out of pocket and have an incentive to shop around (nearly impossible in the US because prices aren't transparent).

People often either over-utilize medicine or under-utilize it. I tend to under-utilize because doctors can usually do next to nothing as the body will either naturally heal, or it won't.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!