View Single Post
Old 02-04-2019, 05:26 PM   #62 (permalink)
Isaac Zackary
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
My advice is to drive with tires and vehicle appropriate for the conditions at a speed appropriate for the conditions. The accident can't be blamed on the snow.
I agree absolutely. Tires and speed are the main points. As for vehicle, IMO there shouldn't be too many places where people live that need a specialized vehicle. Not that there aren't a few people who do that.

Here where I live there's a few that have chosen to live way off any public maintained roads. Their only way in and out during the winter is to park their cars down on the maintained road and to drive between their cars and homes on snowmobiles.

But they are the exception. And IMO people like them shouldn't expect the rest of us to buy specialized vehicles to go visit them for any reason. If I live where you need 4x4 traction to go to my house and the hot water heater stops working, I'm not going to expect the plumber to make it to my house in his vehicle. I'm not going to tell him to go buy a tens of thousands of dollars vehicle just to give me his service. Now if he wants to go buy one just to give those off-road people his service, well then kudos for him.

But for the rest of us, we pay taxes and housing associations and individuals to clean the snow off our streets, roads, highways and driveways. Actually I clean my own driveway, it gives me exercise. It's also so much more efficient and affordable to do things like this in the long run, and helps the whole community, not just me. And personally I want to live where the school bus, ambulance, firetruck, police car, plumber, electrician, Uber driver, family and friends can all make it to my home.

So far using just a regular FWD or even RWD car has worked just fine for me. And I've done a lot of work at a very large number of homes, especially rural homes out in the snowy mountains of Colorado. And 99% of the time I don't have any problem getting to my clients. Tires are the most important thing. I know lots of guys who bought big 4WD trucks to do the same things I do. But I hardly get stuck. And a lot of times those guys in their 4WD trucks get overconfident and then find themselves stuck in the ditch.