Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2019, 08:15 AM   #61 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
My advice is to drive with tires and vehicle appropriate for the conditions at a speed appropriate for the conditions. The accident can't be blamed on the snow.

My sister once rolled the family Camry 5 times while on her way home, on a straight road she was extremely familiar with, on a sunny clear day, with no traffic. The ideal conditions too were not to blame for the accident.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zackary (02-04-2019)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-04-2019, 05:26 PM   #62 (permalink)
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
My advice is to drive with tires and vehicle appropriate for the conditions at a speed appropriate for the conditions. The accident can't be blamed on the snow.
I agree absolutely. Tires and speed are the main points. As for vehicle, IMO there shouldn't be too many places where people live that need a specialized vehicle. Not that there aren't a few people who do that.

Here where I live there's a few that have chosen to live way off any public maintained roads. Their only way in and out during the winter is to park their cars down on the maintained road and to drive between their cars and homes on snowmobiles.

But they are the exception. And IMO people like them shouldn't expect the rest of us to buy specialized vehicles to go visit them for any reason. If I live where you need 4x4 traction to go to my house and the hot water heater stops working, I'm not going to expect the plumber to make it to my house in his vehicle. I'm not going to tell him to go buy a tens of thousands of dollars vehicle just to give me his service. Now if he wants to go buy one just to give those off-road people his service, well then kudos for him.

But for the rest of us, we pay taxes and housing associations and individuals to clean the snow off our streets, roads, highways and driveways. Actually I clean my own driveway, it gives me exercise. It's also so much more efficient and affordable to do things like this in the long run, and helps the whole community, not just me. And personally I want to live where the school bus, ambulance, firetruck, police car, plumber, electrician, Uber driver, family and friends can all make it to my home.

So far using just a regular FWD or even RWD car has worked just fine for me. And I've done a lot of work at a very large number of homes, especially rural homes out in the snowy mountains of Colorado. And 99% of the time I don't have any problem getting to my clients. Tires are the most important thing. I know lots of guys who bought big 4WD trucks to do the same things I do. But I hardly get stuck. And a lot of times those guys in their 4WD trucks get overconfident and then find themselves stuck in the ditch.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:54 PM   #63 (permalink)
Banned

Uhnn

Quote:

My sister once rolled the family Camry 5 times while on her way home, on a straight road she was extremely familiar with, on a sunny clear day, with no traffic. The ideal conditions too were not to blame for the accident.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:27 AM   #64 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Not even that All Darc. She's just an exceptionally bad driver with poor motor coordination. She drifted over the center line on a straight road for no reason, sharply over-corrected into the soft shoulder, then way too sharply corrected toward the road but had put the car into a slide into the ditch.

She also rear ended a car once and blamed the accident on the guy taking longer than she anticipated to make his right turn, which he signaled for.

I've had my share of accidents and close calls, but none just driving normally. If I'm going to wreck, it's because I'm pushing the capabilities of the vehicle. I simply don't understand the concept of getting in a wreck when you were just normal driving somewhere.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:21 AM   #65 (permalink)
Banned

Well, she is a woman, and so she can blame all man, call whatever adjective she wanted, get crazy, and the man can't do anything otherwise will be called a sexist bigot.
And pay less ensurance for cars.

Feminist say they can do anything a man can do, but are demanding a Formula-1 race just for females.

Had you sister exploded more toilets than you in High School ???

Quote:
Not even that All Darc. She's just an exceptionally bad driver with poor motor coordination. She drifted over the center line on a straight road for no reason, sharply over-corrected into the soft shoulder, then way too sharply corrected toward the road but had put the car into a slide into the ditch.

She also rear ended a car once and blamed the accident on the guy taking longer than she anticipated to make his right turn, which he signaled for.

I've had my share of accidents and close calls, but none just driving normally. If I'm going to wreck, it's because I'm pushing the capabilities of the vehicle. I simply don't understand the concept of getting in a wreck when you were just normal driving somewhere.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:09 AM   #66 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Economy Saturn - '02 Saturn L200
It is a snow day in Oregon today. The Saturn will sit and I will drive the 4x4 pickup to work. Schools are closed so there will be less traffic. I work for a major utility and we don’t get snow days, we will probably work all night again!
Old 02-05-2019, 12:00 PM   #67 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

As a young man I was a higher insurance risk, not because I was a worse driver than women, but because I drove to learn the limits of the vehicle. Women might be worse drivers, but they aren't looking to push the limits of the vehicle. My sister wrecks just in normal driving, but I wreck doing 60 MPH rallying my car on a logging road.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:59 PM   #68 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Just wait.
In 2010 they told us snowy winters would soon be a thing of the past.
I can't wait for that.
Be careful what you wish for.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 02-05-2019, 01:04 PM   #69 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 47.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
A week ago a lady 2 lanes on the right of me indicated left and whacked her car right in front of the car in between us, who needed to brake hard to avoid her.

Then she turned off the indicator and whacked another lane left, in front of me. Glad I already held back.

Then we stopped at the lights, 2 lanes turning left. She flipped down the sun visor to check her makeup in its mirror.
Hey lady, I thought you did not know how those worked?

The lights went green and she got going, agonizingly slow, and I followed as the left lane gives access to the on-ramp for the highway. But then she stepped on the gas pedal and went to the right lane just where the exit to the on-ramp started.

You get them in all sorts...

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 02-05-2019 at 01:11 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
Xist (02-06-2019)
Reply  Post New Thread