View Single Post
Old 02-04-2019, 08:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.18 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Have we discussed solar roads?

I thought we did, but I cannot find it. If someone links the conversation I will commit ritual sudoko--twice!

I believe that members here said that solar roads were stupid, but of course, people always push stupid ideas, like me singing karaoke.

Seriously, no.

Apparently Lloyd Alter on Treehugger.com kept saying that it was a terrible idea, but his readers kept trying to explain it, using increasingly small words, and probably adding "Ya gotta listen to me!"

I do not remember reading that France actually decided to do this, apparently [planning on] paving about a megameter of roads with solar panels, costing 5M € (5.7M USD, $7.5M Canadian--do we have enough currencies? )

[Edit! I missed that they specified the test project was 2,800 m², so 1,785.71€ per m²! $189.67 per square foot.]

A "cost of €11,905 (US$ 14,000) per installed [per actual] kW [generated]. (An average rooftop solar system in the US costs $3,140 per installed kW)"

I do not know how French rooftop installations vary from here in the U.S., but that costs 4.46 times as much.

Quote:
It was originally supposed to be 17,963 kWh per day, but before it opened that estimate was downgraded to 800 kWh per day, and after a year it was found to have actually yielded 409 kWh per day. It also has not held up well; due to thermal stresses and joint sealing problems, 5 percent of the slabs have been replaced already.
Edit! Source! https://www.treehugger.com/solar-tec...-expected.html

It produces 2.28% of the original estimate.

The "300mW big Cestas solar plant near Bordeaux cost a tenth as much per installed kW."

73.3% the capacity for 7.33% the cost?

Readers insist that we need this for induction charging (Which is also stupid).

How would it make more sense to drive over solar panels than run power cables from rooftop solar?

This says that induction charging may be 90% efficient, although the images that I have seen showed chargers sitting on garage floors, not embedded a couple of inches underneath. If your car has 6" of clearance and the charger is 2" tall, that is 10% loss over 4", but how thick are solar roads? If they are only 2" thick and the chargers are immediately underneath, now they are transmitting 8", through a road!

What would be the fine for driving with chains over solar roads?

Last edited by Xist; 02-05-2019 at 01:04 AM..