View Single Post
Old 02-05-2019, 08:16 PM   #4829 (permalink)
redneck
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts

Teslas Solar city in Buffalo NY is the largest PV cell and module factory in the Western Hemisphere.

It was supposed to produce 1 gigawatt worth of panels a yr. by the end of 2018 and 2 gigawatts per yr. by the end of 2019.

It is no where near making even a fraction of what was proposed.

Local coverage with video that shows inside of plant.

https://www.wivb.com/news/investigat...ant/1754568826

However, there may be a glimmer of light .

Quote:
There was no mention of the potential of manufacturing a new product in Buffalo, but former Tesla employees said that managers in Buffalo recently showed off a new product. One described it as energy storage battery systems for utilities and commercial businesses.

“We came in for the start of one of our shifts about a month ago – it was some time in December – and the plant manager was there and unveiled a curtain over a large container,” Witherell said.

“He said the goal was in June to be having a line at Gigafactory II producing [the new product]. I believe they are trying to do whatever they can because of the failing solar modules.”

Tesla declined to comment on the new product.

It may have something to do with of Teslas purchase of Maxwell and their line of super capacitors.

I’m not posting Teslas problems to make fun of them.

I want them to succeed...

What it does show however, is that transitioning from fossil to renewable energy is not as easy as it sounds or made out to be.

>

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redneck For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-06-2019), redpoint5 (02-05-2019)