View Single Post
Old 02-05-2019, 09:39 PM   #4830 (permalink)
oil pan 4
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
Yeah some people just think turning off nuclear power plants, building some solar panels and wind turbines fixes everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
There would need to be a new standard for sure. but most all electrical components needed to do vehicle to grid are already in every vehicle. The onboard charger that converts 240v AC to ~400v DC could be used to push the other direction.

What would then be needed is for the vehicle to be internet connected so that charging/discharging could be remotely controlled on demand. Many vehicles are already internet connected.

It would be an opt-in sort of thing where with a phone app, you decide if or when you're participating in grid leveling and what state of charge range you're willing to utilize.

I'd happily sell 20 kWh of a 60 kWh battery at 10 cents each, making $2 per day in the process. That's $730 a year and not much wear on the battery. Imagine charging your EV at $0.05/kWh and selling power back at $0.15/kWh. I like the idea of a passive income on assets already owned, even if it is small.

I wouldn't participate either if my EV only had 23 kWh and no active thermal management. In the future, 40 kWh will be the smallest size EV battery. That leaves plenty of buffer for the typical owner to sell some energy back to the grid.

People already participate in sharing their under-utilized resources in projects like SETI at home, where an idle computer crunches numbers. Those participants don't even get compensated, so just think how popular grid leveling would be if there were incentive.

Heck, my average household electrical consumption is somewhere around 15 kWh. 1 EV alone could run 2 houses for a day.
The j1772 protocol only allows for 1 way power flow.
CCS, same thing.
Still there is the problem of the cost of the unit which is not cheap.

The Following User Says Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-06-2019)