View Single Post
Old 02-06-2019, 03:21 PM   #4868 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Check your math. I think you are off. I get 1.3 billion, 100kWh large electric car packs to make 130 TWh. Which gives us a mere 16 hours of storage for half of the amount of energy we are now using which is about 400 TWh per day currently.
The remaining oil will generally be out of reach for most commercial and civilian uses within 30 years. Natural gas will become remote in 70 years.
But I do believe we should work within the current system momentum to build out as much wind and solar and resilient housing and rail as possible, utilizing a wold wide Green New Deal, in the meantime to forge a clean energy bridge to extend what we have left to buy another century in order to shift human existence back toward a low tech permaculture existence with the minimum amount of pain as is possible. Even if most of the wind turbines will eventually age out and rot in the fields when we run out of resources and liquid fuel to take care of them.
You're right, but I already corrected it. I indeed missed a 1000 in TWh.
The US yearly electricity production is about 4,034 billion kilowatthours (2017 data) - 4,034 million MWh, 4,034,000 GWh, 4,034 TWh.
130 TWh therefore should power the grid for about 10 days.
Global electricity production is about 5 times as much. Still 2 days.
I did not expect a battery that big would be needed...

Indeed. We could alter our lifestyle to use way less energy and still have the necessary comforts while maximizing renewable supply possibilities. Every step in that direction helps.
We may succeed in the end or we may have to drop some of the luxuries, but the earlier we start, the less the pain will be.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 02-06-2019 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: lithium supply link moved to previous post

The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-06-2019)