View Single Post
Old 02-07-2019, 12:08 AM   #87 (permalink)
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
but we paid under $4000 for
the 2500 Yukon XL and those 4x4 conversion vans go $20k well used all day
Picking a Chevy Express or a GMC Savana with a shot engine and stuffing the powertrain of the Yukon would eventually make more sense

Well, those Quigley conversions are quoted to rely mostly on off-the-shelf components from the truck and SUV range.

Quote:
I have thought about the rooftop carrier but one they cost much more than this one trip will add, and we don't do anything like this but maybe every 4-5 years.
Maybe it could be turned into an excuse for more road trips

Quote:
Also I be that and loading the van with 3/4+ of its payload and a big box on the roof will narrow the difference considerably compared to the SUV running under 1/2 of it's payload.
Narrowing the advantage down doesn't mean cancelling it at all...

Quote:
My wife also says the middle row of the Yukon is more comfortable than the middle seats of the van which have that cool "stow and go" thing but that makes the cushions not as good as the old fashion captians chairs of old.
Now that makes sense.

Quote:
My main concern isn't the $65 in gas, it's the age and mileage difference between the van and the Yukon. The Yukon is a 2001 with 233,000 miles and the van is a 2011 with 83,000 miles on it.
I remember hearing a former brother-in-law of my father saying "the best brand for a car is brand-new", while one of my uncles has always enjoyed old beaters because he says they're easier to perform some makeshift fix.