Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2019, 02:15 PM   #81 (permalink)
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Hate to admit it, but we have a Chrysler Town and Country and a Yukon XL (a Suburban) now and we plan on taking the SUV on our Oregon vacation this spring. 6 people for 8-9 days will fit in the minivan and the minivan gets twice the economy, but the Suburban will just be more comfortable for everyone. I figure an extra $70 in gas, the real problem with the minivan is it doesn't have enough room behind the 3rd row for luggage, strollers, beach gear, etc. A full size van would be good, but that would be overkill day to day, and we need the 4x4 and towing capacity the Suburban has for other times.
There was a 15 passenger 4x4 Quigley Ford van for sale here not too long ago.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-05-2019, 02:43 PM   #82 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird
we plan on taking the SUV on our Oregon vacation this spring ..... the real problem with the minivan is it doesn't have enough room behind the 3rd row for luggage, strollers, beach gear, etc
You have a few weekends? Coroplast_hitch _mount_cargo_box_boat_tail.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:07 AM   #83 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Hate to admit it, but we have a Chrysler Town and Country and a Yukon XL (a Suburban) now and we plan on taking the SUV on our Oregon vacation this spring. 6 people for 8-9 days will fit in the minivan and the minivan gets twice the economy, but the Suburban will just be more comfortable for everyone. I figure an extra $70 in gas, the real problem with the minivan is it doesn't have enough room behind the 3rd row for luggage, strollers, beach gear, etc.
Recently I've seen some minivans with Paraguayan plates and roof-mounted aerodynamic luggage carriers. Would something like that be out of question for you?
Old 02-06-2019, 04:54 PM   #84 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zackary View Post
There was a 15 passenger 4x4 Quigley Ford van for sale here not too long ago.
That would be awesome, but we paid under $4000 for
the 2500 Yukon XL and those 4x4 conversion vans go $20k well used all day.

I have thought about the rooftop carrier but one they cost much more than this one trip will add, and we don't do anything like this but maybe every 4-5 years. Also I be that and loading the van with 3/4+ of its payload and a big box on the roof will narrow the difference considerably compared to the SUV running under 1/2 of it's payload. My wife also says the middle row of the Yukon is more comfortable than the middle seats of the van which have that cool "stow and go" thing but that makes the cushions not as good as the old fashion captians chairs of old. My main concern isn't the $65 in gas, it's the age and mileage difference between the van and the Yukon. The Yukon is a 2001 with 233,000 miles and the van is a 2011 with 83,000 miles on it.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:02 PM   #85 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
You have a few weekends? Coroplast_hitch _mount_cargo_box_boat_tail.
And the van doesn't have a hitch which would be $300 right off the top. I do have a hitch cargo carrier already and lots of canvas and wood glue to make poor man's fiberglass. What do you think, good for Oregon in May? Actually my best bet then would be the 5×8 flatbed trailer we have with a aero box built on it. Man I just wanna go sit on the beach with a driftwood fire LOL!
Old 02-06-2019, 06:53 PM   #86 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
I'm not a fan of Coroplast, I mentioned it to fit in with my peers. I like redwood benderboard for framing. You may have seen this:

1/4x4". You can rip it in half for skip sheathing for your canvas, else stack pieces and taper them all at once so you can skip the canvas.

I guess I meant cargo carrier mount not hitch mount. What is it, about 2ft long? A 2ft truncation will give about half the drag reduction of a full boat tail. (Would you agree?) Do you need access through the tailgate?

Add a fold-down bench to sit on and you have a half truncation/half box cavity. In the 1930s the Oregon State government made the beaches public highways to prevent people putting fences right down to the surf. Which means you can tail-gate right on the sand.

If you want an interesting place that's very easy to miss, try Tokatee Kloochmann State Natural Site. It has an elevated parking lot and view-point, but there's a cave underneath.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:08 AM   #87 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
but we paid under $4000 for
the 2500 Yukon XL and those 4x4 conversion vans go $20k well used all day
Picking a Chevy Express or a GMC Savana with a shot engine and stuffing the powertrain of the Yukon would eventually make more sense

Well, those Quigley conversions are quoted to rely mostly on off-the-shelf components from the truck and SUV range.

Quote:
I have thought about the rooftop carrier but one they cost much more than this one trip will add, and we don't do anything like this but maybe every 4-5 years.
Maybe it could be turned into an excuse for more road trips

Quote:
Also I be that and loading the van with 3/4+ of its payload and a big box on the roof will narrow the difference considerably compared to the SUV running under 1/2 of it's payload.
Narrowing the advantage down doesn't mean cancelling it at all...

Quote:
My wife also says the middle row of the Yukon is more comfortable than the middle seats of the van which have that cool "stow and go" thing but that makes the cushions not as good as the old fashion captians chairs of old.
Now that makes sense.

Quote:
My main concern isn't the $65 in gas, it's the age and mileage difference between the van and the Yukon. The Yukon is a 2001 with 233,000 miles and the van is a 2011 with 83,000 miles on it.
I remember hearing a former brother-in-law of my father saying "the best brand for a car is brand-new", while one of my uncles has always enjoyed old beaters because he says they're easier to perform some makeshift fix.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:48 PM   #88 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
If you want an interesting place that's very easy to miss, try Tokatee Kloochmann State Natural Site. It has an elevated parking lot and view-point, but there's a cave underneath.
Thanks, that looks good, we will probably stay in Rockaway beach but will go south at least that far. I have been to that spot but never left the parking area, I'll try and get down to the cave. My dad lived in a van for 5 years in that area back in the early 80's living off 5 cent can refunds. He let me know of a few cool spots he found. He passed away last summer just before we planned a trip to take him back down to Oregon, he was just too weak to leave Montana.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
freebeard (02-07-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 11:14 PM   #89 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Sometimes it does surprise me that some folks would prefer this:

Instead of this:

On a sidenote, my mother has recently seen a VW T3 campervan for the first time, and seemingly she got quite impressed at it.

Reply  Post New Thread