View Single Post
Old 02-19-2019, 11:50 PM   #27 (permalink)
Taylor95
Master EcoModder

Jeep - '97 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)

Blueberry - '07 Toyota Camry SE
Actually the percentage of overweight/obese adults is about 72% (sorry I'm a nutrition student). I'm sure some county in rural Mississippi has at least 80% though. But you're right; 6 of the top 10 causes of death have strong ties to nutrition. Accidental death is in the top ten though. When I talk about the risk of vehicle fires, I'm not concerned at all with the chance of that actually happening to me. The numbers are so small that it doesn't matter if it is 1 per 100,000 or 1 per 1,000,000. I think in terms of what the chances that I will make it out alive if that happened. So I reiterate--if a fire happened in a gasoline powered car, I think it would take awhile for the fire to get to where I'm sitting. In an electric vehicle, I would be toast. I would rather live through three "regular" car fires than become a statistic for deaths in an EV fire.

One problem that renewable "green" sources of energy must overcome is definitely the costs of operating using such sources. If it continues to command a substantially higher price than fossil fuels, no one would switch over. If governments mandated the switch, that would definitely stifle the economy and drive up prices of things. Until green energy can compete with fossil fuels on price, it will be nothing more than novelty. I see sources offering clean energy for "a few cents more" than conventional, per kwh. When the average house uses almost 1000 kwh, that is a substantial monthly difference.