View Single Post
Old 02-20-2019, 10:00 AM   #29 (permalink)
Vman455

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,801 Times in 938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor95 View Post
When I talk about the risk of vehicle fires, I'm not concerned at all with the chance of that actually happening to me. The numbers are so small that it doesn't matter if it is 1 per 100,000 or 1 per 1,000,000. I think in terms of what the chances that I will make it out alive if that happened.
This position makes no sense to me. You're using the risk of a catastrophic event which has a very low probability of happening to you as a driver in a hypothetical purchasing decision? Why not focus on things that have a higher probability of happening? There's an extremely small chance that if I buy a house somewhere, a meteor will fall on that exact location and destroy it--but I won't factor that into my decision to buy a certain house or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor95 View Post
So I reiterate--if a fire happened in a gasoline powered car, I think it would take awhile for the fire to get to where I'm sitting. In an electric vehicle, I would be toast.
You've averred this twice now, with no evidence to suggest it has any truth to it.