View Single Post
Old 02-23-2019, 06:01 AM   #5085 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5
Dog-free won't work for me long term. I'll eventually want a mutt of some kind or another.
A dog-whistle for cat ladies?

In the 1970s Cerro Gordo's proponents were divided between the equestrians and railroaders. But over the decades, the railroad shut down the steam excursion train and the track was removed.

Cottage Grove's "Blue Goose" steam train route is now Row River Trail

Quote:
The switch from passenger-carrying railroad to bike path still draws grim looks from many Cottage Grove residents, especially those with experience in tourism-related enterprises. The potential draw of a 31-mile steam-train ride leaving from just off Interstate 5 and passing through the scenes of three major Hollywood movies – “Stand By Me,” “Emperor of the North Pole” and “The General” – seems obvious.

But to take advantage of something like that, capital is required, and in the late 1980s this little timber-products town was on the ropes. The Bureau of Land Management’s rails-to-trails project was a bird in the hand, and any plan to preserve the Goose was very much in the bush. And so the Oregon Pacific and Eastern railroad spur ended a nearly 90-year run by becoming an exceptionally long, scenic and gently graded bike path.
There was supposed to be a commuter railcar to downtown Cottage Grove. I'd have wanted a McKeen rail car, like what used to run from Falls City to West Salem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McKeen_railmotor

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-23-2019)