View Single Post
Old 02-23-2019, 04:26 PM   #2243 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Neat. I never really thought about that aspect of driving a big rig. I don't see that much, only because big trucks tend not to be on the roads I frequent.

But I will never understand the drivers of normal vehicles who tailgate extremely closely before passing. C'mon guy! Leave some "runway" ahead of yourself, and get the pass done safer: less time spent in the passing lane, and (critically) better forward vision before the pass (since the field of view isn't filled with the back of my car)!
Import the stupid, import the higher risk. There’s your reason for recent increased or flatlined deaths per 100k miles.

The inability to comprehend the simplest physics (weight x speed) means education doesn’t work. These are dim bulb 12-yr olds who shouldn’t be allowed to operate above 45-mph. Understand that JUST REMAINING IN THEIR LANE places them at their physical/mental limit while on the highway.

The EM response is more about safety. They also school like fish. Don’t expect conciousness for the difficulty of their task. They hand it off as fast as possible. It’s too taxing.

See a pack overtaking you? Back off and get them around quickly. Re-engage cruise control once 700-ft or more out ahead.

Manage the flow. That’s what informs the feet.

Insisting on hyper stunt driving with legally-defined morons around one means Stupid Number One is aggravated by Stupid Number Two. That’s Laurel & Hardy.

Highway travel is cruise-control centered. Maximization (percentage of drive time) is the winner.

The trip plan is more important. Roads chosen, time of departure, and all stops chosen in advance trumps masturbating with the throttle.

Highest possible mpg has no more meaning than fastest elapsed time.

It’s the average. The dead-nuts predictable average. MPG at MPH. Have to have both averages to meet standards around here (as I see this thing). Don’t have that pair? Then one isn’t serious about understanding fuel burn.