Thread: Tesla Model 3
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2019, 05:37 PM   #965 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I just don't see an EV failing to operate under its own power unless it was involved in a wreck or some other unlikely failure.
I have 4 Sevcon AC Controllers that have various faults on them, and would not drive their respective vehicles (Polaris Ranger EVs).

Separately, the BMS failed (cabling, connector and temperature sensor respectively) on 3 of these same Ranger EVs and would not allow the vehicles to run (after the controller problems were dealt with).

And I have had an ignition switch intermittent failure stop on of these Polaris Rangers from running, making my wife very cross at the walk home.

I have no stats on how likely these failures are compared to the other things that fail. But EVs have reliability problems, just like ICE cars. An ECU is not as complex as an AC controller, a BMS is not the same as an ABS controller ... but where there are electronics and sensors, stuff happens

The OEMs appear to be quite paranoid about the BMS link to the AC Controller. And it is important to adjust charging when batteries are too cold, or too hot. There are several sections of the Polaris Service manual that start with 'Vehicle will not run' or 'Vehicle will not power up'.
The Following User Says Thank You to thingstodo For This Useful Post:
aerohead (03-06-2019)