View Single Post
Old 03-11-2019, 10:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
Daschicken
EcoModding flying lizard

Cibbie - '88 Honda CBR 250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 48.49 mpg (US)

Rarity - '06 Honda Accord EX V6
Team Honda
90 day: 29.88 mpg (US)

Baby viff - '86 Honda VFR 400R
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)

Latios - '08 Suzuki SV650SF
Motorcycle
90 day: 64.56 mpg (US)

Mazda 3 - '14 Mazda 3 i Sport
90 day: 43.25 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor95 View Post
My tires I run at 34 psi. I've seen a lot of people recommending to run them at max psi, but is no one worried about uneven tire wear? Although the max psi on my tires is 60 psi... I'm not sure if I want to have them that high. My tires are getting old though so I will try bumping it up a little. I do take my larger tires into consideration... I need to multiply my miles by 1.04 for an accurate reading.
I work at a tire shop, so I get to see how tires actually wear in the real world. Uneven wear caused by UNDER inflation is far more common than overinflation wear, and more dangerous as well. If your tires are still new, its fruitless to try and establish how the tires are wearing, but if you have some miles on them then you can. If your tires are wearing more on the edges and looking like a motorcycle tire, time to add more pressure. Other way around, drop some, or corner harder.

ALSO, if your jeep came with P rated tires and you are running LT tires, you will want to add more air. Say it specifies 30 PSI with P tires. 34 is going in the right direction, but I would go to at least 36. The thicker rubber in LT tires generates more heat, but allows it to carry higher pressures. Most vehicles running LT tires from the factory are in the 50-80 PSI range.

My experience: I run my 44 PSI tires at 51 front, 47 rear. I am not getting wear from overinflation, but I do have some visible alignment wear showing up due to excessive negative camber in the rear. I also corner very hard, which allows me to have mostly even wear instead of center wear.

Best trip in V6: 52.0
Best tank in V6: 46.0
Best tank in Mazda: 49.9
Best tank in CBR: 61.3
Best tank in SV: 83.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You can lead a fashion-conscious horse to unusual-looking water...