View Single Post
Old 03-11-2019, 09:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
slowmover
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Was able to get under one of our new trailers today. A Utility (that and Great Dane best), with the latest “barely there” aero (Coanda devices at rear, tiny nose-splitter at front). Wound up pulling it empty 150-miles (TARE is 35k) and mpg was showing nothing I haven’t seen before (broke into double digits).

The real reason I’ve wanted to get under one is that these are disc-brake equipped. As are the tractors. Five axles, and five sets of discs. Ha! Running a semi and using my big toe to brake 17.5T.

Steady-State is always the goal. And the lowest number of driver corrections PLUS the lowest degree of input AND shortest duration in time for the correction is good.

The Automated Manual trans takes getting used to (re-program right foot), and one comes to understand that one’s place is in providing the steering & braking inputs ONLY. Let the truck handle the drivetrain.

The synchronization of trans software with integrated engine brake is also different. Without getting into how the shift programming can be set to different preferences, the engine brake actuation can also be tailored.

Engine brakes themselves have four settings. But the relation from One to Three is no longer linear. It’s a helluva powerful curve.

With discs all around, mine is set that a service brake actuation at highway speed (normal slowing for the various usual reasons) engages the engine brake . . . .

. . and it rides that “set” all the way down. IOW, one can release the service brake after informing the truck what’s called for (given correct choices made).

Unlike a civilians tow vehicle & trailer, the trailer ABS brain keeps the trailer from starting to want to pass. This is before Stability or Roll Controls activate.

Discs really are the cake icing. Shortest inputs of pressure & degree RULE!!