View Single Post
Old 03-12-2019, 09:56 AM   #20 (permalink)
Taylor95
Master EcoModder

Jeep - '97 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)

Blueberry - '07 Toyota Camry SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I don't see how a filter could be a "$100 value", and it certainly isn't going to improve FE. The point of a filter is to protect the fuel delivery system and engine, and that's it. I trust OEM filtering is adequate, and further trust that the fuel I'm purchasing is quite clean.

I'm somewhat of a Jeep hater because they are terrible at everything except perhaps off-road capability. Poor fuel economy, poor ride, poor reliability, poor noise isolation... and despite all this, those who love Jeep seem to be cult-like. Mention that you're trying to get better fuel economy, and you'll get a response like "you shouldn't have bought a Jeep then. Gotta pay to play".

OK, that said, I owned a Jeep Liberty for a bit, and it was mildly fun having something with slightly better than average power, that was rear wheel drive, that had 4-lo gearing. I could never get better than 19 MPG, and it often did as poor as 17. Fortunately I sold it before any major problems, but still it did have problems that never would have come up on any other brand (evap leaks and shift sensor issues). The only reason I owned the Jeep was my Australian roommate got deported and gave me a screaming deal on it. I miss that hunk of junk.
Fuel filter: Ramco Performance Manufacturing - Pricing & Ordering Information

Their filter also seems to filter out water, which is a huge benefit.

Jeeps are also great in the snow

You'll notice cults within the cults here... lots of people regard the 4.0 engine to be the best ever made. Bulletproof. Those people talking about "pay to play" were probably only getting 10 mpg themselves...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
A Jeep is the most stupendously capable vehicle on the planet. Unfortunately, it's stupendously capable of things that no one needs to do.
I guess no one NEEDS to drive up 4 ft rocks, but it sure is fun!

Last edited by Taylor95; 03-12-2019 at 10:07 AM..