Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2019, 09:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,555 Posts
I can only speak from experience, but I get very normal tire wear running 48 PSI in my max 48 PSI tires. Door placard calls for 38. Not only do I get improved economy, but it really tightens up handling.

My 2 cents on the fuel filter, can't hurt. My layman's understanding is that good air filtration is much more important for engine longevity than a fuel filter, given that you're not filling up from 80 year old fuel pumps. So called "high flow" air and fuel filters don't improve economy, just add a little power near redline at WOT.

Some things which might help economy in your Jeep include getting narrower, low rolling resistance tires, lowering it a bit so axles and whatnot don't hang down in the wind, and as much in the way of underbody paneling and wind deflectors as you care to put on.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-11-2019, 10:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor95 View Post
I really like ecomodder--it has helped me a lot. I've toyed with the idea of buying a scangauge for a while now. I suppose that should be the next thing I buy. It is hard to see the difference in some mods with the normal variations in tanks. For example, last tank I got over 17 mpg, but this one it looks like I will get at least 19 mpg (though it is warmer outside). I did see an improvement with the throttle body and CAI, but like you are implying, it is hard to know without the scangauge.

My tires I run at 34 psi. I've seen a lot of people recommending to run them at max psi, but is no one worried about uneven tire wear? Although the max psi on my tires is 60 psi... I'm not sure if I want to have them that high. My tires are getting old though so I will try bumping it up a little. I do take my larger tires into consideration... I need to multiply my miles by 1.04 for an accurate reading.

Hopefully I have a scangauge before I install the fuel filter. Most people here value mods when they are validated with a scangauge.
Regarding uneven wear, I would make ththe bold statement that it is irrelevant of tire pressure. Irregular to me means cupping, etc.

Low pressures have a tendency to wear out the shoulder of the tire and cause excessive heating of the sidewall eventually leading to separation and complete failure.

High pressure has a tendency to wear the center of the tread, reduce traction, and cause a harsh ride.

CAVEAT:
What is low pressure and what is high pressure? Well that lovely question depends on what you're trying to hold off the ground with the air in the tire and what size of tire, how much air you're using.

Very heavy vehicles have larger tires because they require more air to provide enough force to resist the downward force from the vehicle. Likewise for smaller vehicles.

You mention you have larger than stock tires. What is the max load rating of your tires and how heavy is your jeep?

Old 03-11-2019, 10:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding flying lizard

Cibbie - '88 Honda CBR 250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 48.49 mpg (US)

Rarity - '06 Honda Accord EX V6
Team Honda
90 day: 29.88 mpg (US)

Baby viff - '86 Honda VFR 400R
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)

Latios - '08 Suzuki SV650SF
Motorcycle
90 day: 64.56 mpg (US)

Mazda 3 - '14 Mazda 3 i Sport
90 day: 43.25 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor95 View Post
My tires I run at 34 psi. I've seen a lot of people recommending to run them at max psi, but is no one worried about uneven tire wear? Although the max psi on my tires is 60 psi... I'm not sure if I want to have them that high. My tires are getting old though so I will try bumping it up a little. I do take my larger tires into consideration... I need to multiply my miles by 1.04 for an accurate reading.
I work at a tire shop, so I get to see how tires actually wear in the real world. Uneven wear caused by UNDER inflation is far more common than overinflation wear, and more dangerous as well. If your tires are still new, its fruitless to try and establish how the tires are wearing, but if you have some miles on them then you can. If your tires are wearing more on the edges and looking like a motorcycle tire, time to add more pressure. Other way around, drop some, or corner harder.

ALSO, if your jeep came with P rated tires and you are running LT tires, you will want to add more air. Say it specifies 30 PSI with P tires. 34 is going in the right direction, but I would go to at least 36. The thicker rubber in LT tires generates more heat, but allows it to carry higher pressures. Most vehicles running LT tires from the factory are in the 50-80 PSI range.

My experience: I run my 44 PSI tires at 51 front, 47 rear. I am not getting wear from overinflation, but I do have some visible alignment wear showing up due to excessive negative camber in the rear. I also corner very hard, which allows me to have mostly even wear instead of center wear.

Best trip in V6: 52.0
Best tank in V6: 46.0
Best tank in Mazda: 49.9
Best tank in CBR: 61.3
Best tank in SV: 83.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You can lead a fashion-conscious horse to unusual-looking water...

Old 03-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Jeep - '97 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)

Blueberry - '07 Toyota Camry SE
As far as the filter goes I need to check and see if the company is still in business so I can buy replacement filters. But yeah, at the very least it should help protect the engine.

Thanks for the replies on tire pressure--I feel more comfortable bumping it up a bit. My tires have a C load rating and my vehicle weighs 3700 pounds with me in it. Based off of that I suppose I could drive around at 50 psi and still be fine. I'll need new tires soon anyway so I'll see if 40 psi causes any abnormal wear.

I currently run around 34 psi, so 40 psi should make some sort of difference.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:08 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Higher pressures make everything crisper. Someone here (I'm not going to search) once said that when his pressures started getting low it felt like driving through soup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 03-11-2019, 06:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
I don't see how a filter could be a "$100 value", and it certainly isn't going to improve FE. The point of a filter is to protect the fuel delivery system and engine, and that's it. I trust OEM filtering is adequate, and further trust that the fuel I'm purchasing is quite clean.

I'm somewhat of a Jeep hater because they are terrible at everything except perhaps off-road capability. Poor fuel economy, poor ride, poor reliability, poor noise isolation... and despite all this, those who love Jeep seem to be cult-like. Mention that you're trying to get better fuel economy, and you'll get a response like "you shouldn't have bought a Jeep then. Gotta pay to play".

OK, that said, I owned a Jeep Liberty for a bit, and it was mildly fun having something with slightly better than average power, that was rear wheel drive, that had 4-lo gearing. I could never get better than 19 MPG, and it often did as poor as 17. Fortunately I sold it before any major problems, but still it did have problems that never would have come up on any other brand (evap leaks and shift sensor issues). The only reason I owned the Jeep was my Australian roommate got deported and gave me a screaming deal on it. I miss that hunk of junk.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 03-11-2019, 07:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
A Jeep is the most stupendously capable vehicle on the planet. Unfortunately, it's stupendously capable of things that no one needs to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 03-11-2019, 08:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
A Jeep is the most stupendously capable vehicle on the planet. Unfortunately, it's stupendously capable of things that no one needs to do.
My favorite is people off-roading their Prius or minivan and passing groups of jeeps.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
My favorite is people off-roading their Prius or minivan and passing groups of jeeps.
I do that in my Insight.

All the 4x4 trucks and Subarus were giving me thumbs-ups and laughing at my ice racing and driving on the frozen lake. Admittedly ground clearance can be an issue at times.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:56 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Jeep - '97 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)

Blueberry - '07 Toyota Camry SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I don't see how a filter could be a "$100 value", and it certainly isn't going to improve FE. The point of a filter is to protect the fuel delivery system and engine, and that's it. I trust OEM filtering is adequate, and further trust that the fuel I'm purchasing is quite clean.

I'm somewhat of a Jeep hater because they are terrible at everything except perhaps off-road capability. Poor fuel economy, poor ride, poor reliability, poor noise isolation... and despite all this, those who love Jeep seem to be cult-like. Mention that you're trying to get better fuel economy, and you'll get a response like "you shouldn't have bought a Jeep then. Gotta pay to play".

OK, that said, I owned a Jeep Liberty for a bit, and it was mildly fun having something with slightly better than average power, that was rear wheel drive, that had 4-lo gearing. I could never get better than 19 MPG, and it often did as poor as 17. Fortunately I sold it before any major problems, but still it did have problems that never would have come up on any other brand (evap leaks and shift sensor issues). The only reason I owned the Jeep was my Australian roommate got deported and gave me a screaming deal on it. I miss that hunk of junk.
Fuel filter: Ramco Performance Manufacturing - Pricing & Ordering Information

Their filter also seems to filter out water, which is a huge benefit.

Jeeps are also great in the snow

You'll notice cults within the cults here... lots of people regard the 4.0 engine to be the best ever made. Bulletproof. Those people talking about "pay to play" were probably only getting 10 mpg themselves...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
I guess no one NEEDS to drive up 4 ft rocks, but it sure is fun!

Last edited by Taylor95; 03-12-2019 at 10:07 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread