View Single Post
Old 03-13-2019, 12:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Shaneajanderson
Redneck Ecomodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor95 View Post
That's good that you'll still have 4x4 in the winter.

How much money are you willing to spend on this rig? You could get some improvements by getting alloy axleshafts and rebuilding the engine for economy. Manual front locking hubs would be good too.
Edit to add: I already have manual front hubs, wouldn't have it any other way, economy minded or no. There's something to be said for simplicity and the inherent reliability that comes with it.

I'm not looking to spend a fortune, it doesn't get all that many miles on it. What I've described so far besides the tires which need replacing anyway I can do with free/cheap material.

I have a lot of lumber and plywood already, and if I decide to do the shell out of aluminum I work for a company that uses about 40,000 lbs of aluminum sheet a month, with lots of scrap I could use, as well as a lot of extruded aluminum bars.

This is also how I'll source my roll up cover, we make those as well and get returns that are defective occasionally, and the warranty guy is going to hold the next one for me that has cosmetic trouble but is still functional.