View Single Post
Old 03-15-2019, 11:21 PM   #233 (permalink)
Isaac Zackary
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
Yes, but, but, but, but...

Anyhow, I'm not saying that lithium ion is a worse technology. It is better than NiMH in many respects, and perhaps the best technology for the job. But there are several more things you have to do to maintain and monitor on lithium ion batteries than on NiMH batteries.

I've owned both, a Nissan Leaf with lithium ion and a Toyota Avalon with NiMH. The Leaf has a battery warmer. The Avalon does not (and still starts just fine in -30°F weather and perhaps colder). The Leaf has a battery cell balancer. The Avalon does not. The Leaf has a completely sealed and water tight battery to prevent battery cells from combusting. The Avalon does not.

To me, a short range city vehicle (less than 100 miles) could be a good candidate for NiMH batteries. No need to balance the cells. No need to warm them in the cold. No need to worry about accidental combustion. These cars can basically be made with a thermostat with a fan on the cells, and that's it. I'm not sure how that affected vehicles like the GM EV1. But it seems to have worked out just fine.

Would NiMH work for a +300 mile quick charging car? Of course not!

Now I'm not saying you can't put a lithium ion battery in a short range city car. Many have done it. Honda is coming out with a new short range EV with lithium ion batteries. But why limit ourselves to just one battery type? People might prefer the advantages of a certain battery over it's disadvantages. Lot's of people say they don't want an EV because they are concerned with the batteries being combustible. Some people, me, live where it's cold and are concerned about batteries freezing or battery warmers draining the battery if not plugged in.

Of course you can limit the disadvantages of lithium ion with proper battery and thermal management. But that adds complexity to the car. It also makes it harder on the DIYer's. Not necessarily a deal breaker. But not a deal maker either IMO.