View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 11:07 PM   #247 (permalink)
Taylor95
Master EcoModder

Jeep - '97 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)

Blueberry - '07 Toyota Camry SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zackary View Post
Ya, that's pretty much it right now. But that and several other reasons pertaining to each sector of the market.

Millennials, in general, aren't buying new cars. That's anyone under 40 years old! Although there has been a lot of stereotyping millennials as being cheap lazy videogame addicts that would rather live in their mom's basement than to go do something productive, the fact is that they simply make less money than previous generations (or things cost more, however you want to look at it). And this basically forces them to buy cheap used cars. If you could make a cheap-as-used EV that's not at too much of a disadvantage or even has certain advantages over gasoline cars, the things would sell like hotcakes.

The majority of new car buyers are those people that are 40 years old and up. Many even do the 5 year thing where they get a new car every 5 years. But by that age they are pretty much set on what they like in a car. In this sector the EV must be a gasoline car clone in many ways that's in some way better than gasoline, but close to the same price.

Commercial buyers a lot of times look for something that makes sense for productivity, price per mile and the opinion of the public. In this area fuel mileage does matter a lot. But of course not at the expense of other factors.
Very true. I've had my car for almost 9 years now and in not thinking about getting a newer one. A lot of people I know are the same. In this aspect EVs have a big hurdle to overcome. By the time used EVs are cheap, they may need the battery pack replaced which will cost several thousand. If the cost of batteries doesn't decline significantly, EVs may never become mainstream among the used car population. Battery replacement will be an inevitable part of EV maintenance after perhaps 200,000 miles and 15 years of use.
The Following User Says Thank You to Taylor95 For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zackary (03-18-2019)