Thread: Tesla Model Y
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 11:40 PM   #62 (permalink)
Isaac Zackary
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
Have you ever driven a Tesla?

I've driven a Zoe and I know I want an EV since then. And the Zoe is probably the least attractive of them all.
Very few people who have driven a Tesla end up not wanting one.
The demand will be there. The more there are out on the streets, the faster it will grow.
There are needs and then there are wants. People usually buy cars for both reasons. But from what I can tell, the majority of people buying EV's, especially Teslas, are buying them primarily for wants, not needs. Those people are called enthusiasts. Not everyone is an enthusiast.

Believe me, I have tried time and time again to figure out how I could benefit from owning an EV. I even bought one once, but ended up selling it. At this point it's a bad choice for me. It's impractical. Too much buck for so little bang. An expensive yard ornament.

Range is lower. "Refueling" times are longer. Places to "refuel" are still very sparse in comparison. Price is higher. Reliability is less than average.

Now I know that the car doesn't have to be perfect. But what are the trade offs? "Fuel is cheaper" and "it's better for the environment." The second is a very good reason. But work, family and other goals are also important.

"Sorry Honey. But I just spent the family nest egg and the kids' college funds so I could buy a car that only goes a couple hundred miles. And if you do go that far then you have to charge it for several minutes or hours and many places still don't even have a place you can do that. So if we want to go see your mother, we'll have to take the bus."

Sure, I'd love to own a Tesla. But it makes no sense to do it unless I were just trying to fulfill my wants and put my needs to the side.