Thread: Tesla Model Y
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2019, 04:14 AM   #63 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Have you ever driven a Corvette? Very few people who have driven a Corvette end up not wanting one.

The problem isn't the wanting; it's the wanting at that price point and with the given limitations in charging, range and refueling time.

I test drove a Leaf in 2011 and liked it, but not enough to spend $36k on it. I've also test driven a Bolt and was thoroughly impressed. It's still not worth $36k. As the tax incentives run out on the major players in the US, so too will the sales.

The Koreans will produce compliance-like numbers of their EVs, so we'll be supply constrained there.

We're just not there yet. People like peppy acceleration and charging at home, but not at the current prices, with the current limitations, and many people don't have access to charging at home.
I have not driven a Corvette. I have driven several Subaru WRX though, including a heavily tuned one that did 0-60 in under 4 seconds.
I also rode several performance bikes, like a CBR 1000 F. The WRX could not keep up with that of course. It wasn't the hardest accelerating bike I had though - that was my bare stripped ST 1100, due to its long wheel base and relatively short first gear. 0-50 mph in 1.5 seconds... but the rear tire needed to be hot!

All of those make a great howl of getting up to power. All need to be in the right gear etc. You need a big heart to corner a bike at the limit.

I want the power but not the noise. I suffer from tinnitus and even my Insight is more noisy than I like; after long trips my ears do ring harder.

Oh, and Tesla IS a software company (among others). In the future all cars will be computers on wheels. Just like phones, it isn't only the specs that make it good; most of all it is the software.

It is true that many don't have home nor destination charging, but we're a long way from EV domination. Many do and could use EV's.
Then, with Model 3s now capable of taking 250 kW charge, even being dependent on superchargers isn't that much of a problem anymore.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 03-19-2019 at 11:19 AM..