Thread: Tesla Model Y
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2019, 02:11 PM   #68 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
There are plenty of videos online showing various Tesla models in snow/rugged conditions. They seem to do quite well, though I'd be surprised if they do as well as a Forester.

I take my Prius up logging roads that most people wouldn't go up in their RAV4. Not that the Prius is excellent off road, but hardly anyone needs more capability than it.
The difference is paying $60,000 and knowing all those low center of mass batteries are kind of low hanging fruit for damage. An engine oil pan or transmission pan is a smaller target and easier to protect, other parts of an normal SUV can dent and bend without total failure. What happens when a Li-ion cell takes a dent? Bad things from what I understand. Basically I don't think it is anywhere near an SUV, and a Dodge Journey at best. Do you know if the dual motors actually put power to all 4 tires if needed? Or is it like 2 open diffs?

As far as your Pruis off road, not that you abuse it, but I remember renting a Jeep once on vacation and getting back into this great isolated beach on a really bad boulder filled road only to find a rental Neon parked there as well. It's all about momentum and somebody else's car on some roads LOL!