View Single Post
Old 03-25-2019, 01:17 PM   #24 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
0.5 MPG in what vehicle, and what was the stat before, and what % improvement does that represent, and how did you control for other variables in measuring the improvement?

Anecdotes are nearly worthless just by the nature of them being anecdotes, but they are made even more useless when the details are omitted.

I had a disc burst and impinge on the spinal nerve at L5-S1 that left me in excruciating pain. Desperate to do anything to relieve the pain, I visited a chiropractor. He told me the bad news is that my back is messed up (duh), but the good news is I should see a great reduction in pain if I saw him 42 times in the course of 2 months. Rather than do that, I did nothing and my inflammation/pain subsided in 2 months. Had I made the 42 visits, I'd likely attribute my excellent results to the therapy when in fact my body recovered naturally.

My point is that correlation does not equal causation, especially when practically no variables are controlled for that could potentially confound the conclusion.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!