Thread: Tesla Model 3
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2019, 04:05 PM   #1023 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I have USAA for insurance and a local credit union for finance.
I had all my money in Iowa once because I did a nationwide search for the best rewards checking account, and it was West Bank (Iowa). No problem because I do all my banking online, and have my pay direct deposited. I've never even written a check (except in high school in a life skills class).

When the rates were no longer the best, I online bill paid myself and they sent my money via a check that I then deposited into a different credit union. My current credit union can accept paper checks by using a phone to take a photo to deposit. I then just tear up the check.

My favorite credit union simply for the comedy factor is Redneck Bank. Not bad rates either. I've never held an account with them, but I have a friend that does.

https://redneck.bank/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
You ignored the part where I spend the time cleaning my windshield and back window. So, ten seconds a day would be on top of cleaning my windows every week.

I have USAA, but I do not know anything about financing vehicles, because I never finance anything. Like I said, if I needed to replace my car, I would pay cash.

3% interest may not be much, but unless I am earning more on the same amount, I am still losing money.

I may be able to get a better deal than 8%, but that is $692 in interest, out of a total of $7,812, or 8.9%.

At 3% it is $12 less a month, $528 less in total, and 6.8% less than my original figure.

Would this McDonald's scenario be on top of your full-time job?
That Dave Ramsey mentality is too simplistic. It's a great way to think about money if you've got low discipline, but wealthy people make credit work for them to make more. 3% interest to finance a vehicle is lower than 7% you can make in an index fund. In other words, you make more money paying the 3% interest on a vehicle loan when you factor in the money not spent on the vehicle sitting in an index fund.

Not only that, but you need credit to get a mortgage. Why not finance a car at low rates, invest the money not spent on the car in an IRA, and build credit? I've financed cars before even though I could pay cash. The only reason I paid it off early is that financing a vehicle requires comprehensive and collision coverage, which is much more than liability only. I like to run minimum liability coverage.

Give me any scenario and I can probably save money, including McDonalds as my only full time job. I made $30/mo in prison working 40hr weeks, and I came out with an extra $200. I had to pay for my own shoes, soap, shampoo, toothbrush, radio, toothpaste, postage paid envelopes (lopes), ...

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
roflwaffle (04-07-2019), UltArc (04-02-2019)