View Single Post
Old 04-03-2019, 01:39 PM   #5511 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
what about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
In a way, diesel and unleaded gas that we use in ours cars is what is leftover from refining oil and taking out all the other products we rely on just as much as motor fuel. What saved the whales wasn't any Greenpeace campaign but the discovery ground petroleum products were just as good, more plentiful, and easier to produce. No need to kill whales. So if we don't produce any oil what about rubber, asphalt, plastics, modern fabrics, etc. Propane and fuel oil has to go too. Right now it's a perfect balance, if you remove just the transportation portion you still have to drill and refine just as much oil to provide the other products. You just end up with a lake of unused gasoline and the price of everything else rising to cover the waste gasoline.
I suspect that our appetite for the myriad of products derived from petrochemicals will remain.At least they're 'durable',rather than a flash preceding a 'tailpipe'.
My look into I.G.Farben suggested that, a chemist could take 'gasoline' and turn it into whatever they chose.Pressure,temperature,or a catalyst,and voila!
It's all too precious to waste.$trillion has been mentioned.