View Single Post
Old 04-15-2019, 02:23 AM   #69 (permalink)
litesong
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by litesong View Post
... got used tires, 15 inch wheels, & switched our 195x65x15 inch tires from our Elantra to our 2008 Hyundai Accent front, which originated with 175x65x14 inch wheels/tires. .....On the Elantra got used 17 inch wheels with 225x55x17 inch tires, & 18 inch used wheels with 225x45x18 inch tires.
With the various successful experiments I''ve done with used tires on my cars, I got carried away, even thinking very slightly different diameter new tires could work on the same axles, even powered axles..... hey, the tires were "only" 2/10ths of an inch diameter difference. However, 2/10ths of an inch difference is about the same difference as a new tire & an older tire of the same tire with about 40% to 45% of the legal tread worn away. Many websites warn against mixing tires on the same powered axle, even of the same type, which have different tread depths. Tho the powered diameter differences aren't much, the smaller diameter will rotate as much as 5 more revolutions per mile of travel. That rotation difference is being allowed by your differential. Then, you are continually depending on the differential, not just in turning, which isn't what the differential was designed to do.
Also, my non-engineering approach to used larger tires probably means I'll pay for suspension work, probably sooner than later. But, its sure cool to see big wheels & tires on the cars, now.

Last edited by litesong; 04-15-2019 at 02:30 AM..