Thread: Shavingcrete
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2019, 05:21 PM   #52 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
freebeard, I try to plan thoroughly, but I always miss important details. Yes, second shed in the yard, and insulated, because I want to use part for storage, and part for an office.

I had thought about adding onto the existing shed, but supposedly a separate aircrete building would be cheaper, although it does not seem nearly as cheap as the creator wanted us to think. As I mentioned to Shane, the metal studs actually cost almost 340% as much as 2x4s.

If I added onto the existing shed I would need to create a foundation. It is just sitting on cinder blocks and neither I nor whoever built the shed tried to level the ground. The ground and the shed slope forward. I would need redo the half of the roof adjacent to the addition.

What is a scab former? Google does not show anything useful.

Show Low is at 34.3515° N, so I wanted to approximate that angle the best that I could. Tan 34.3515 = .6835. I am planning on ten feet on the inside, but the outside would be another 5.25", due to one 2x4, and half of the one between the new part and the old one. .6835 * 125.25" = 85.6084" or 7'1 5/8"

I used fewer decimal places before and did not account for the width of the walls.

With 8' walls and the peak of the girder being over 7', I may need to adjust something, because my building may or may not be limited to 15'.

The regulation is poorly written.

Cos 34.3515 = .8256. 125.25" / .8256 = 151.7094" or 12' 7 11/16".

That leaves just over 4" for an overhang on the side.

I have watched infinitely more home shows than performed any actual work, why would I have ten-foot corners? Wouldn't I only have two corners because I am attaching to the existing shed?

Fifty linear feet would be the perimeters, but I do not understand your estimate of 82 linear feet of 2x4s.

Are you recommending pouring a 4x4 of concrete along the perimeter? If ten feet is stretching it, should I pour a 4x4 of concrete in the middle?

If I had a 4x4 every 6', the top plate is on-center, so I trim the girts to fit?

Six does not go into 10 or 15 very well. How would I insulate?

I started trying to figure out SketchUp, and how to diagram all of this, but I figured that I would need to redo nearly everything.

Thank you very much for your time and patience!