View Single Post
Old 04-23-2019, 09:35 PM   #394 (permalink)
harriska2
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
It goes for guys my age, too.

These guys with autism must occupy a different place on the spectrum than my brother. I let him drive Mom's car in an empty parking lot when he was eleven. He sat in my lap and I used the pedals because he could not reach them.

I moved him back into the passenger seat because he kept trying to hit stuff.

Maybe he grew out of it? Well, ten years later his class went to a small amusement park in Phoenix. Mom let him drive a go cart into a post. [Mom let him drive and he drove a go cart into a post]
My son has his license but we don’t let him drive alone. It took 120+ hours of careful instruction and practice to get him to where he could take the driving test. He graduated from high school with many hours a week of tutoring and community college (same). It wasn’t easy. He tested a 47 in IQ at 3 and had no language at all. It is possible to make huge strides but a ton of work. The Arcimoto removes some important barriers for my son: blind spots and the need to be closer to traffic so he can focus his attention. The handlebars, throttle, and handbrake seemed to be easy enough for him. He drove in Eugene, a place he has never driven, with a guy behind him directing him. When they got back I was told it went well. That is when I was sold.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harriska2 For This Useful Post:
Hersbird (04-24-2019), Xist (04-24-2019)