View Single Post
Old 04-26-2019, 05:44 PM   #23 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
She didn’t spend $5k on “autopilot” to have adaptive cruise control and lane keeping. She spent the 5K because it is required to get Full Self Driving. She told us with a straight face that in 2 years her car was going to drive her to work in the morning while she slept. That is the dream Musk is selling for $8k.
Perhaps there's another legal case to be had there; if you purchased something with the understanding that it was necessary for something else to work, and that something else is not made available, then you should be able to get back your money. I'm no legal expert though. Sometimes that's just a risk consumers bear.

I guess the $5k was "Enhanced Autopilot" which is more than standard Autopilot. I don't follow Tesla closely enough to know the difference.

I'd push for a refund for several reasons. First, because self-driving wasn't made available in a reasonable timeframe. Second, because it's sure to come down in price over time. I'd rather pay a lower price when the product actually comes out, and the kinks get worked out.

There's a price to pay for being an early adopter, or essentially being a "go fund me" participant. Sometimes you get cool stuff before other people, albeit with various bugs to work out.

Frustration with Tesla seems reasonable to me, but I don't get why people with no stake in the game are so passionate. I considered putting a $1k deposit down on the 3, with almost no intention of actually buying. Just figured I didn't need the money and it opened an opportunity should I want it. Glad I didn't, because the reservations did practically nothing.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 04-26-2019 at 05:55 PM..