View Single Post
Old 04-29-2019, 02:14 PM   #36 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Twitter is an entertainment platform, not a news outlet. As such, users know that absolutely anything on there should be for entertainment value, and not for making important life decisions. Twitter's usefulness beyond entertainment probably doesn't extend much further than announcing when a party starts for a large audience.

That said, the context of the "6 month" reply was in this question:

Quote:
At what point will "Full Self-Driving Capability" features noticeably depart from "Enhanced Autopilot" features?
That is a subjective question. What is the definition of "noticeably"? If the full self drive package received any update in which someone noticed the change, and it was not offered on the autopilot version, then it would be easy to argue that the Tweet was fulfilled technically, even if it missed the spirit of the question. In other words, it doesn't constitute a legal obligation.

I'm not saying Tesla/Musk is ethical, just saying that the other side of the picture is that consumers chose to "invest" in something which is not guaranteed, and have some responsibility for setting their expectations accordingly.

If some company said "we're definitely going to double battery capacity by the time your car is built", I wouldn't pre-purchase the car. It would be ludicrous for me to do so because implementing new technology or finding breakthroughs isn't a predictable thing. We all know that you should see something demonstrated before investing in it; but an abundance of enthusiasm clouds our judgement... and perhaps that enthusiasm is exactly what it took for Tesla to stand a chance of viability.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!