Thread: Tesla Model 3
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2019, 04:25 PM   #1139 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
The Tesla website isn't even going to show the $45K Model 3. It is the 3rd party car shopping / comparison sites that having a 93 mile Tesla will look bad.
Which is the point of not displaying it on the website; Tesla doesn't want to sell that model as it represents a sizable marginal loss. The whole point is to be able to advertise their more expensive models on the website along with the eligible $5k incentive.

Of course you know this, I'm just stating it for the larger audience.

Quote:
No, I'm sure they aren't. However, if EV and Hybrid sales are going to break out of the single digits then manufacturers and dealers are going to have to get better at selling them to people that aren't actively seeking to buy one.
Agreed, but then manufacturers aren't in a hurry to sell the products that have the lowest (or negative) marginal profit. A manufacturers best case scenario is that someone walks into their dealership because they are interested in an EV, but then get sold on a Ford Expedition with all the upgrades. I don't know what the margins are on the Volt, but I assume they are less than practically any of their ICE counterparts.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!