View Single Post
Old 05-12-2019, 08:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
nemo
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat_man View Post
They are also thinking about raising the gas tax 25 cents (and diesel but I can't remember how much) and have tossed about the idea of a mileage tax. A mileage tax would hurt everyone except Chicagoans (as usual). With a total commute of 10 miles every day they have it easy and would pay minimal tax. A guy like me that has to drive 60 miles each way every day would pay through the nose.
Mileage Tax isn't that just placing the cost on the people who get the most benefit from the roads. It's not much different the paying tolls on roads. In Miami they keep converting roads to toll, its bill by plate. I bet the cost per mile is more than the less than $.01 per mile increase of $.25 per gallon would be @ 30 mpg.

Here in S FL they have opened toll "Express Lanes" the price increases as the traffic flow increases. The lanes do nothing but cause traffic bottlenecks as people try to get in and out of to these lanes across three or four lanes of traffic. Looks like there are more to come.

As far as taxing goes someone always feels that they are paying more than they should. Why should I pay school taxes when I have no kids in school? Maybe parents should be billed for service.