View Single Post
Old 05-17-2019, 08:47 AM   #72 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonR View Post
....It may be more a Route 66 RV vs. an I-70 RV....

So do the trucks have 2 battery systems? 1 drive & 1 for lights/ac/radio? Or 1 traction battery with a step down circuit for the auxiliary stuff?..

...You talked of adding solar power. Is there a reason it couldn't be used to, albeit slowly, charge the traction battery?

Don
Definitely more of a Route 66. In Wisconsin, we have lots of nice state parks with RV outlets, and they are spaced not too far apart.

BATTERIES:
Technically, 3 battery systems on the trucks. One is a 24V system for the truck - headlights, horn, all that kink of stuff. A SECOND 24V system, which is independent for the box. It runs the power roll-up doors, interior lights, etc.
Then thirdly is the high voltage battery pack that powers the electric drive motor.

Solar COULD be used to charge the drive batteries, but it would be complicated. There are VERY FEW systems designed to charge high voltage directly. For home solar, high-voltage batteries are against electrical code with the exception of manufactured turn-key system batteries. (I think the idea is that they want to keep solar installers and home-owners from being electrocuted...)
High-voltage solar BATTERY solar systems tend to be proprietary with just a few companies.
It would be quite a bit of cost and complexity to really do solar right. There might be some potential for a sponsor though!

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos