View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 12:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
gasti_ako
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
gasti_ako -

This doesn't sound right, but I may not understand your question. Under normal driving conditions in the USA, the Air/Fuel ratio is 14.7 parts air to 1 part fuel (14.7:1). The car's ECU tries to maintain this Air/Fuel ratio most of the time. Running "lean" means increasing the amount of air. For example, a lean ratio could be 16:1. Running "rich" means decreasing the amount or air. For example, a rich ratio would be 13:1.

Many newer cars will run lean "by design" when the car is decelerating in gear. Some cars will cut off the fuel completely until the car's normal "idle RPM" is reached.

All cars will run rich when the driver is driving for performance.

The 14.7:1 ratio is used because the emission standards in the USA require this ratio. Otherwise, the catalytic converter won't function properly.

What are the emissions rules in the Philippines? Do you have a catalytic converter on your car?

I agree that a bicycle/scooter/motorcycle would be better, but I also think you get a lot of rain, so it isn't practical for work. Can you commute with a coworker?

CarloSW2
thank you for the well thought reply. I just wanna make sure that Neutral Driving/Coasting is ok.

I am also agreeing with you with alternative modes of transportation, in fact I take the train most of the time. My car has been a weekend car so to speak.

I just want to make sure as well that its the traffic and not the car or driver which/who are the source of low MPG. When I went highway driving, I got 33 MPG. Though I am quite speeding at around 60 M/hr. So I am thinking that my highway driving MPG could have been better.

In addition, i think my wheels being a 17" is also a factor. That is why I am changing it when its time to change my tires.