Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2008, 05:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Philippines
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Traffic Jam is Killing my MPG

The KM reading from my home to work is just 15km translating to 9.32 Miles and imagine that it takes me an hour and 15 minutes to get there. So you can imagine the traffic that I am facing everyday. Ultimately wasting gas. I drive a Honda civic 05 4 door sedan. I guess its not my driving style since I am so conscious nowadays.

The only modifications that I have are these:

17 inch magwheels (might add to the weight- not sure with my tire specs)
Subs at the back of my trunk(might add to the weight)
Royal Purple (10w40 should I go thinner?)

Any inputs guys? Is there hope?

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 09-08-2008, 05:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Mr. Blue Tape
 
azraelswrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 345

AzxA - '06 Scion xA
90 day: 42.72 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Some hope but if its as jammed as it sounds, no mods will really matter other than finding a different route that isn't so congested. Other option include:

DRIVING
> creating a larger front buffer gap in front of you
> neutral coast when possible (easier if you have that gap)
> neutral idle if you must idle
> engine off if nobody is moving
> turn off all unnecessary accessories (A/C, radio, coffee maker, etc)
> look into alternative route

TIRES
> make sure the tires are pressured up
> opt for low rolling resistance tires
> look into lighter wheels

WEIGHT
> put your car on a diet
> put yourself on a diet

ENGINE
> go as thin as you can but make sure your car can handle it. Some recommend synthetic or 0w but I have no experience with that.
__________________


My 5 pillars of fuel efficiency:
  • driving style
  • aerodynamics
  • tires
  • weight reduction
  • engine maintenance
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Philippines
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks bro for the reply. I have further questions:

For driving here are my questions:

they say that in neutral driving, the air-fuel mixture is 1:1 as compared to geared, the ratio is lower in favor of the air. since the ECU thinks that you are going to do an engine break. how true is this?

For tires can you suggest a specific magwheel combined with a specific tire with low resistance rolling?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: united kingdom
Posts: 262

Tracy - '00 vauxhall corsa
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 4 Posts
go hybrid mod !

or for the lazy mod try the big battery mod. power for ignition is 17% of fuel costs at low speeds. if lights are on in traffic jam its even more. http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...or-4675-2.html
__________________
Nissan Leaf 24kwh. Average FE = 300mpg 3.6miles/kwh (@plug)
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tallmadge, OH
Posts: 313
Thanks: 6
Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts
15K? Ride a bike! 1/2 of a pint of lube / year-- How's that for fuel efficient?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010
 
SVOboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hanover, NH
Posts: 6,447

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Thanks: 92
Thanked 122 Times in 90 Posts
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
I would try a bike, you'll save a lot of gas and about 45 minutes,
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pokémoderator
 
cfg83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,864

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Thanks: 439
Thanked 530 Times in 356 Posts
gasti_ako -

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasti_ako View Post
Thanks bro for the reply. I have further questions:

For driving here are my questions:

they say that in neutral driving, the air-fuel mixture is 1:1 as compared to geared, the ratio is lower in favor of the air. since the ECU thinks that you are going to do an engine break. how true is this?

For tires can you suggest a specific magwheel combined with a specific tire with low resistance rolling?
This doesn't sound right, but I may not understand your question. Under normal driving conditions in the USA, the Air/Fuel ratio is 14.7 parts air to 1 part fuel (14.7:1). The car's ECU tries to maintain this Air/Fuel ratio most of the time. Running "lean" means increasing the amount of air. For example, a lean ratio could be 16:1. Running "rich" means decreasing the amount or air. For example, a rich ratio would be 13:1.

Many newer cars will run lean "by design" when the car is decelerating in gear. Some cars will cut off the fuel completely until the car's normal "idle RPM" is reached.

All cars will run rich when the driver is driving for performance.

The 14.7:1 ratio is used because the emission standards in the USA require this ratio. Otherwise, the catalytic converter won't function properly.

What are the emissions rules in the Philippines? Do you have a catalytic converter on your car?

I agree that a bicycle/scooter/motorcycle would be better, but I also think you get a lot of rain, so it isn't practical for work. Can you commute with a coworker?

CarloSW2
__________________

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pokémoderator
 
cfg83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,864

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Thanks: 439
Thanked 530 Times in 356 Posts
gasti_ako -

Here is a great thread on how the air/fuel ratio works with emissions :

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...nomy-4376.html

Here's the article the thread is pointing to :

Autospeed - Running Lean for Economy
Quote:
It’s self-evident: the less fuel you burn with each kilogram of air, the better the fuel economy you’ll get. Therefore, if you can reduce the amount of fuel going into the engine and still travel at the same speed, you’ll reduce fuel consumption.

So why doesn’t everyone reduce the intake of fuel? The answer to that is more complex than it first appears.
CarloSW2
__________________

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Posts: 1,098

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 53 Times in 40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
I would try a bike, you'll save a lot of gas and about 45 minutes,
Unless you're up to building a battery-powered pusher trailer, I'd go with the bike recommendation as well. If you're worried about pedaling yourself sweaty, there are a few nice electric bikes out there on the market that will allow you to pedal very little at the beginning, and then more later as you get into better shape.
__________________

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Philippines
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
gasti_ako -



This doesn't sound right, but I may not understand your question. Under normal driving conditions in the USA, the Air/Fuel ratio is 14.7 parts air to 1 part fuel (14.7:1). The car's ECU tries to maintain this Air/Fuel ratio most of the time. Running "lean" means increasing the amount of air. For example, a lean ratio could be 16:1. Running "rich" means decreasing the amount or air. For example, a rich ratio would be 13:1.

Many newer cars will run lean "by design" when the car is decelerating in gear. Some cars will cut off the fuel completely until the car's normal "idle RPM" is reached.

All cars will run rich when the driver is driving for performance.

The 14.7:1 ratio is used because the emission standards in the USA require this ratio. Otherwise, the catalytic converter won't function properly.

What are the emissions rules in the Philippines? Do you have a catalytic converter on your car?

I agree that a bicycle/scooter/motorcycle would be better, but I also think you get a lot of rain, so it isn't practical for work. Can you commute with a coworker?

CarloSW2
thank you for the well thought reply. I just wanna make sure that Neutral Driving/Coasting is ok.

I am also agreeing with you with alternative modes of transportation, in fact I take the train most of the time. My car has been a weekend car so to speak.

I just want to make sure as well that its the traffic and not the car or driver which/who are the source of low MPG. When I went highway driving, I got 33 MPG. Though I am quite speeding at around 60 M/hr. So I am thinking that my highway driving MPG could have been better.

In addition, i think my wheels being a 17" is also a factor. That is why I am changing it when its time to change my tires.

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
40 mpg last night wagonman76 Success Stories 7 03-11-2012 04:12 PM
Idea for government: Traffic Light Timers newtonsfirstlaw General Efficiency Discussion 29 03-10-2012 12:33 PM
Question regarding Scangauge MPG readout & DIY device Gregte DIY / How-to 5 05-19-2008 05:58 PM
School teams to compete in cross country MPG Challenge - Possible $1,000,000 prize ericbecky EcoModding Central 9 03-22-2008 10:15 PM
Traffic experiments: a cure for waves and jams (improves other people's MPG too) MetroMPG Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed 13 01-20-2008 10:35 PM



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com