Thread: Civic Mileage
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 03:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Twerp
Modified Driver

Frozen Tundra - '03 Toyota Tundra 4WD SR5 Access Cab
90 day: 26.51 mpg (US)

Red Skateboard - '91 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 45.49 mpg (US)
So far I'm happy with the stopping ability of my car... At least, it doesn't appear to be limited by the tires. The brakes themselves are less grippy than I'm used to, but I haven't locked up my wheels (New rotors and the pads are still decent). A swift kick to the brake pedal on my Tundra will jolt me by comparison. The same maneuver in my fiance's Focus will have me getting snuggly with the dash board.

I guess my concern is breaking the bead during hard cornering, but I think I have an easy fix for that... I won't corner hard. It seems to me that the Civic was actually intended to be an economy car, not a high performance machine. You'd never guess that by looking at some of the tuned out Civics out there. My other concern is tire reliability, weight bearing and such, but the snows that are on my car now haven't blown out or anything, and I had a car full of people over the weekend. The average weight per person was prolly 190 to 200lbs times 4 people.

I'll have to see what my odometer says after a trip to work. My truck is calibrated pretty decently and it comes out to about 31 miles or so. If my Honda agrees even partially, I will be satisfied with mileage accuracy. Otherwise I will have to learn to calculate accordingly.

So Dave, are your tires on the stock steelies? If so, I'll prolly go with the 155s. I think I can get them cheaper than the 175s.

I think in the short term, I'm going to pick up a second set of wheels. I'll get some take offs that still have some decent tire meat on them. I've been looking into junkyard inventory for this. Depending on what I get, I might be able to do some A-B-A testing between tire widths at some point in the future.