View Single Post
Old 05-26-2019, 01:43 PM   #77 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
If it’s a failed policy double down? Money in the pocket doesn’t go anywhere to build anything.

If corporations have paid no income tax for decades why mention lowering their taxes? why is it a discussion point when it’s already been fact forever?
Not paying taxes is current state but more are exiting the workforce anyway what else is left on the table?

The economic issues in this country are usually blamed on the poor earning $250,000 a year or less, why protect a corporate interest like its above reproach?
The reality is those earning income are primarily reactive and have no real influence on the economy, they mearly follow trends as mindlessly as bees go to honey.
Their ability to produce useful gainful products on their own is eroding.
The ideal of the self made person is moving to a fantasy.
You'd need to show how it's a failed policy to lower corporate taxes, especially in light of practically no economists agreeing. The world has never been so prosperous. Further, most companies are small and barely get by. They would be sunk if not for low corporate taxes.

It has always been the case that the common person has no real influence over the economy, just like your vote doesn't matter. You're right that the self-made person is a fantasy, as it always was. We're social creatures, and we depend on our institutions to thrive. The most influential institution, the family, has been eroded over the years. How we're doing so well despite the most important institution eroding is a miracle... or perhaps we're in for a rude awaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat_man View Post
And some people are complaining about raising the minimum wage??? The $20-$25/hour factory worker that probably made most of the cars we drive (and mod) is only making 1/3 of that and their unions are under attack from these same "corporate interests" because they want even cheaper labor. That coupled with the fact that the Big 3 are outsourcing jobs overseas and to Mexico while laying off workers doesn't support the idea that the tax cuts they received are creating jobs. It did succeed in raising corporate profits and the ability to buy back their own stock. Good for the corporation, but not for the common man.
I'm not complaining about raising the minimum wage, I'm saying it's totally corrupt and evil to dictate the negotiated wage between 2 parties at all. The supreme court should throw it out instantly as an assault on basic liberties.

$20 an hour is a lot of money. Way more than the rest of the world. If I were a manufacturer, I wouldn't fight unions at all, I'd simply move operations to a location where people are happy to work and to be compensated at a rate we both agree upon. Moving factory locations doesn't destroy jobs, it merely shifts the geographic location of them.

You don't seem to understand that the more successful a business is, the greater the necessity to hire employees. A mom and pop store can't employ 50,000 people.

As far as the common man, you'd need to provide evidence that they are suffering, because all metrics show that this moment is the greatest time in human history to exist.

Quote:
Redpoint5 you seem to be a believer in the "horse and oats" theory, but show me any time in recorded history that it has succeeded for the common man. Show me where a corporation has decreased the price of US made goods after increased profits from either sales or tax reduction. That may make for a more compelling argument.
Right now, this moment. That's the point in history where the most prosperity has been experienced by the greatest proportion of the population. Practically nobody would prefer to be living even 100 years ago.

There are legitimate complaints about the current state, but that's only because no system is perfect and can always be improved. Denying the great good of the system is naive though. It's as ridiculous as "Make America Great Again", as if everything was better back when everything was worse.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!