View Single Post
Old 06-03-2019, 11:23 AM   #252 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
3rd best tank!

The SG was a little screwed up on this tank, so I was misled into thinking I was in line for another 70+ mpg result. Instead I fell just shy at 69.4.

That's what happens when you drive to achieve a target MPG, which I typically do (I aim for 70 in nice weather on back road trips, adjusting my cruising as wind/temperature permits).

But I'm getting sick of this car.

Last week I fixed the busted muffler -- I welded/bubble-gummed it back together. I also fixed the brake line -- cut out the rusted section and flared/bolted in a new piece. (Fumes, I couldn't find nickel/copper at my usual parts store, so steel it is, and a promise to regularly do plenty of anti-rust spray.)

While I was under the car fixing the brakes on Friday I noticed a tear in one of the CV boots and made a mental note to address it soon. But wouldn't you know it, the joint started clicking on a weekend trip.

Grr.

It's hard to hate a $1200 car that reliably delivers 70 MPG in good weather. But I'm getting there!

I'm having a hard time deciding what to do. Stick with Team Suzukiclone, or head toward that shimmering Mirage.

One thing I do know is I shouldn't be putting so many miles on this "winter beater", considering its the most worn-out of my 3 road-worthy vehicles. I should be using it exclusively in the November through February time frame.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget