View Single Post
Old 06-05-2019, 04:51 PM   #103 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
how

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
So how is Tesla going to build something with worse aerodynamics than a Model X, more capability (power, load, etc) than a model X, more range than a Model X, for less than 1/2 the price of a Model X?

Promise less and deliver more. I also don't think a blank slate is always the way to go. Is the round wheel still a good plan? You don't have to throw out 2000 years of learning how to move things and people around. Sometimes just replacing the engine with a motor and the gas tank with a battery will be a better starting point.
It's possible that the new platform will be shared with the pickup,a full-sized SUV (Denali,Navigator,Sequoia,Armada-killer)as a follow on,as well as a passenger van.
Spirit was Cd 0.29 as an BEV at DARKO.without any tail.I think Tesla could bring their pickup in at, or below that,with a factory tonneau.I don't know what the frontal area will be.
The motor torque is more important than horsepower.Dual motors would allow the induction motor to be decoupled once up to speed,for range extending,like in the long-range Model-3.
The larger 'footprint' of the truck would allow for a larger pack and range.The economies of the Giga-Factory may allow for lower cost packs over time.
Extra mass might actually improve regenerative breaking and overall performance on the EPA cycles (Volvo found this to be true of their SUVs).
If they get the platform right,it could go 20-years before a refresh or body-in-white.The tooling would be long paid off and just free money.Same for all the other R&D.'Modular' construction.Shared components.The guts you rarely see.
I don't know what their margins are.Aston Martin's never made a dollar.Why are they still around?
If Trump's Mexico tariffs go through,that could be the end of RAM trucks.