View Single Post
Old 06-19-2019, 12:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Love this idea.

I'm guessing that you're planning to tune the ECU fuel maps so that you can run really lean at part throttle at freeway speeds. And then have it simultaneously set up so that at wide open throttle you can get the kind of power and performance that you want for the drag strip. To get the fuel economy in those lean AFR conditions on the freeway you're definitely going to want taller gearing than the options you're describing. If you can get that .647 6th gear and the 3.4 FD that Ecky is describing you'll have really remarkable freeway cruising RPMs.

If you don't want to touch a thing once you reach the drag strip, I think you've got some aerodynamic issues to consider. I would bet that the Insight stock body shape is stable enough at the speeds you'll hit in 10 seconds on the quarter mile to be safe, but you'll want to be sure. The lift reducing things that you might do to enhance stability at a hundred miles an hour would have negative effects on your overall drag on the freeway when you're trying to run at part throttle and get 50 plus miles per gallon. Just some things to consider, if you're not doing so already.

Sounds badass. Can't wait for photos.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.